Wednesday, August 3, 2011

bathtub magic

ok, i am just gonna say it; i'm awesome... seriously, after 4 weeks of painting nightmares i did something super sweet and i am excited...

as i have mentioned, the previous owners were totes cray-cray (totally crazy for us you old folks) for 2 things: varnish and mustard yellow... fortunately i have pretty much conquered the varnish dragon and today was a major victory in my war on mustard yellow... first, let me introduce you to my guest bathtub:

snazzy... we were originally going to take out the tub and replace it but that would mean spending the money for the tub, removing and retiling all around the tub, and dealing with who-knows-what when we pull the tub out (since we have started in this old ugly house we have come to realize that there is always something terrible lurking under any "easy" project)... so, after some poking around on the internet we came up with the idea of painting the tub... we figured that if it went badly we would just go back to the original plan...

first, we pulled out all of the old gross caulking and removed the broken tiles:

next i had to clean the tub... the directions said that the cleaning solution was "highly irritating" to skin so i made sure to wear proper gloves and be extra careful... the cleaning process went as follows:
1. scrub with solution

2. rinse, dry, and scrub with steel wool...

3. rinse again and repeat 2 more time for a total of 3 cleanings

that was the cleanest flippin tub you ever saw... next i taped off the tile (sort of... keep reading) and said a prayer... the box said the first coat should be thin and would not cover completely so i was only mildly concerned when it came out like this:

after waiting 15-30 min. (NO more NO less) i started on the next coat... it took a while, i made sure to mist lightly over and over again, but here is the final product:

OH EM GEE ITS BEAUTIFUL!!!! i am so stoked... i seriously went back and looked at it about 5 more times... now it has to sit for 72 hours and hopefully it will stay beautiful... there is just one teensy issue...

apparently i painted the fool out of the tile.. but the box says let it dry and then remove excess with lacquer thinner so i will let you know how that goes!

11 comments:

  1. and you wanted to rip it out! why cant you just do the same thing to the walls and use the real thing tile grout nothing is better than real grout not silicone crap ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog was the talk of the town Sunday, so i thought I should catch up. Aaron and I renovated our house five summers ago, and it was tough. I salute you and Peter! Everything looks great, btw...I love the green kitchen.

    But I was a little offended by your "orange is from the devil" comment. It's our bread and butter around hear, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing ! I never knew that you could refinish a tub like that !

    ReplyDelete
  4. what was the cleaning solution and paint that you used? Do you have links? I have the same hideous tub in my home and we are in the middle of remodeling it right now and I would love to not have to rip the tub out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So how is it holding up today?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your job is very good,i also want to use thisTub and tile paint Maryland,i will use it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a blog to watch for sure. I think you have a really awesome writing style by the way. Very easy to read. Your blog design is so clean too! Thank you all the hard work!

    Bathtub Refinishing Arlington

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

    Tub Refinishing Mckinney

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a blog to watch for sure. I think you have a really awesome writing style by the way. Very easy to read. Your blog design is so clean too! Thank you all the hard work!

    Bathtub Refinishing Plano

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great you are too good at this and this is helpful and informative for me. I'm also working as a plumber and offer services to my customer like bathtub refinishing, bathtub remodeling, bathtub repairing, tile repairing, removal of the blockage in pipes. I do my best to satisfy my client.

    ReplyDelete